- Incision Options: Transaxillary, periareolar, inframammary for breast surgery, with a horizontal incision in the lower abdomen / upper pubic region for tummy tuck
- Procedure: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General
- Duration of Procedure: About four hours
- Initial Recovery Phase: About two weeks
- Results: Apparent immediately, but continue to improve for several months
Countless mothers who are bothered by the cosmetic effects of pregnancy and breastfeeding turn to Dr. Sean Maguire of Physician’s Center for Beauty for his expertise in mommy makeover surgery.
Mommy makeover surgery is not simply one procedure. Rather, it is a set of cosmetic surgery procedures designed to address the common aesthetic concerns relating to the breasts and abdomen that many mothers share. Although mommy makeover typically involves cosmetic breast surgery and abdominoplasty, or “tummy tuck” surgery, Dr. Maguire can customize the operation to satisfy your unique aesthetic concerns.
Why Is Mommy Makeover Surgery Needed?
Pregnancy — especially multiple pregnancies — can cause the abdominal skin to stretch out, so it can no longer shrink back to a smaller size and shape once the excess baby weight has been lost. This leads to loose, sagging abdominal skin. Pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the abdominal muscles, severely weakening them or causing them to divide. When this occurs, surgical intervention is needed to repair the abdominal muscles and restore muscle tone.
In addition, breastfeeding often leads to sagging breasts, downward-pointing nipples and overly enlarged areolas (the darker-colored skin encircling the nipples). Some women report that their breasts look deflated or are smaller in size than they were prior to having children. Fortunately, undergoing breast lift surgery, with or without breast implants, as part of comprehensive mommy makeover surgery can restore the look of lifted, shapely breasts.
Is Mommy Makeover Surgery Right for Me?
Generally, mommy makeover surgery might be right for you if you:
- Are frustrated with the look of sagging breasts, southward-pointing nipples, excessively large areolas, flat-looking breasts and / or breasts that are smaller than they were before having children
- Are concerned with excess abdominal skin and a loss of muscle tone throughout the abdomen that cannot be restored through diet and exercise
- Are not currently pregnant, are not currently breastfeeding and have not breastfed for at least six months (as this is how long it takes for the natural size and shape of the breasts to return after nursing)
- Do not plan to get pregnant in the future (Mommy makeover surgery should not affect your ability to have children; however, pregnancy and nursing can counteract the aesthetic benefits of the procedure.)
- Are in good overall mental and physical health
- Have made the decision to pursue the procedure of your own volition
- Understand the possible risks and rewards of the procedure, but feel that the rewards outweigh the potential risks
What Can I Expect During Mommy Makeover Surgery?
To start a typical mommy makeover procedure involving breast lift and tummy tuck surgery, Dr. Maguire first makes an incision in the breast area. (During consultation, Dr. Maguire recommends the incision approach that best satisfies the patient’s unique anatomical needs and aesthetic goals for surgery.) He removes excess skin from the breast area. Dr. Maguire re-shapes the breast glandular tissue mound while moving it to a higher, more youthful-looking position on the chest wall. He also moves the nipple to a more central location on the breast. If the areolas are too large, the Louisville plastic surgeon excises some of the areola skin from around the outer edge to reduce their size. Dr. Maguire can also place saline or silicone implants during this stage of the procedure to restore breast volume or enhance the size of the breasts.
For tummy tuck surgery, Dr. Maguire performs liposuction of the abdomen to remove excess fat, if needed. He then makes a horizontal incision across the lower abdomen, extending from one hipbone to the other. The incision is strategically placed in an area that can be easily concealed by the bikini or underwear line. The surgeon eliminates sagging abdominal skin before placing permanent internal stitches in the abdominal muscle fascia to tighten the muscles and hold them in place after surgery. Dr. Maguire re-drapes the remaining skin, pulling it tight, and closes the incision. Using a second incision concealed within the navel, he adjusts the position of the belly button so it is aligned with the flatter, firmer abdominal contour.
Once Dr. Maguire is satisfied that the lifted, shapelier breasts are in proper alignment with the new abdominal profile, he closes the breast incisions as well. He dresses the treatment areas with soft bandages and overlying surgical garments to help minimize swelling and provide added support to the tissues while they heal.
What Is the Recovery Period Like?
After mommy makeover surgery, patients need to take about two weeks off from work or their normal routine. They should get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activity and heavy lifting, including picking up their children. They may need to arrange for help with the kids during the initial phase of recovery.
The treated areas may be swollen, bruised, sore or numb, but these are normal symptoms that should improve over time. Patients can take oral pain relievers as directed by Dr. Maguire to alleviate any discomfort. During a follow-up appointment,
Dr. Maguire lets patients know when they can resume their usual activities and remove any surgical garments.
Although the initial results of mommy makeover surgery are visible immediately after surgery, the final results may take several months to become actualized, as this is how long it takes for any residual swelling to resolve and for the body to heal completely.
It’s Time to Take Care of Yourself
As a mother, you spend most of your time taking care of your children. Isn’t it time to take care of yourself? To schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Maguire to find out more about mommy makeover surgery, contact Physician’s Center for Beauty.