- Breast Implant Type: Saline or silicone
- Incision Options: Inframammary, Periareolar, Transaxillary
- Placement Options: Subglandular, submuscular
- Procedure: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General
- Duration of Procedure: About 90 minutes
- Initial Recovery Phase: About five days
- Results: Apparent immediately, but continue to improve for several months
If you are frustrated with the size, shape or asymmetrical nature of your breasts, consider undergoing breast augmentation surgery with Dr. Sean Maguire of the Physician’s Center for Beauty. Dr. Maguire has helped countless women achieve the breasts of their dreams, and he can do the same for you. To view Dr. Maguire’s patients’ breast augmentation results, visit our breast augmentation gallery.
What Does Breast Augmentation Accomplish?
Dr. Maguire performs breast augmentation surgery to help patients address a variety of aesthetic concerns. Some women simply desire larger, more voluminous breasts while others seek a more dramatic degree of cleavage. Other patients would like to correct breast asymmetry. Additionally, some women are unhappy with deflated-looking breasts or other cosmetic changes that often occur as a result of pregnancy and breastfeeding, major weight loss or the natural aging process. Dr. Maguire can also place breast implants as part of breast reconstruction surgery following lumpectomy or mastectomy for the treatment of breast cancer.
Is Breast Augmentation Right for Me?
In general, breast augmentation might be right for you if:
- You are unhappy with the small size, shape or asymmetry of your breasts
- You have realistic expectations for what breast augmentation surgery can accomplish
- You are in good general health
- You recognize that breast implants are not intended to be lifetime devices
- You have decided to pursue breast augmentation of your own accord
- You are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
What Are the Available Incision Patterns?
Dr. Maguire offers three incision patterns:
- Inframammary incisions, which involve placing a horizontal incision underneath the natural fold of each breast
- Periareolar incisions, which are made around the outer perimeter of each areola (the darkly colored skin surrounding the nipple)
- Transaxillary incisions, which involve positioning an incision in each armpit area
During consultation, Dr. Maguire helps you choose the incision pattern that is right for you, based on the type of breast implant you choose, your aesthetic concerns and your anatomical needs.
What Are the Implant Placement Options?
Dr. Maguire offers subglandular and submuscular breast implant placement. With subglandular placement, the Louisville breast augmentation surgeon positions implants beneath the breast glandular tissue but above the pectoralis (chest) muscle. With submuscular placement, he positions implants beneath the chest muscle. There are benefits and drawbacks to each placement method; however, many patients prefer submuscular placement to minimize the chance of implants being visible underneath the skin’s surface.
What Does the Procedure Entail?
Breast augmentation surgery is an outpatient procedure that takes about 90 minutes. It is performed with the use of general anesthesia. During the procedure, Dr. Maguire places breast implants, using the incision and placement method that you agreed upon during the preoperative process. Once he is finished, he dresses the treatment area with soft bandages and an overlying surgical bra, which helps minimize swelling and provides added support to the healing tissues. You are taken to a room where you can rest while the effects of the anesthesia wear off. Once you are cleared, you are released into the care of an authorized individual, who can take you home to recuperate.
What Is the Recovery Like?
You will need to take about five days off from work or your usual activities. During this time, the treatment area may be swollen, tender or sore, but these are normal symptoms that should improve over time. You can alleviate any discomfort by taking oral pain relievers as directed by Dr. Maguire. You should rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous activities, including heavy lifting and exercising. Dr. Maguire will let you know when it is safe to remove the surgical bra and resume your normal activities.
Love Your Breasts
With breast augmentation surgery, you will love the look of your breasts. To schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Maguire to learn more about breast enhancement surgery, contact Physician’s Center for Beauty by calling (502) 897-7546.