- Procedure: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General or local anesthesia with sedation (for smaller areas)
- Duration of Procedure: About 90 minutes, depending on how many areas are treated
- Initial Recovery Phase: About five days
- Results: Apparent immediately, but continue to improve for several months
Do you follow a healthful diet and exercise regularly but still have stubborn pockets of fat that are resistant to your healthy lifestyle? If this sounds familiar, you might benefit from undergoing liposuction surgery with Louisville’s premier cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Sean Maguire.
Dr. Maguire performs liposuction to remove localized fat deposits from nearly any area of the body, including the lower legs, thighs, hips, buttocks, abdomen, back, upper arms, neck and chin. The result is a slimmer profile throughout the treatment area.
Is Liposuction Right for Me?
Liposuction is not intended as a tool for major weight loss because removing a massive volume of fat during a single procedure can cause serious surgical complications and may impede the skin’s ability to contract after surgery, leaving patients with loose excess skin. Also, although the fat cells that are removed with liposuction will not grow back, gaining a substantial amount of weight (generally 10 percent or more of one’s bodyweight) can cause the residual fat cells to grow larger or new ones to develop either within or outside the treatment area.
For these reasons, suitable liposuction candidates are at or just slightly above their ideal bodyweight and feel they can maintain their weight after liposuction surgery. Overall, appropriate liposuction candidates generally include individuals who:
- Have stubborn fat deposits that are resistant to healthy lifestyle habits
- Have good skin elasticity (Patients with poor skin elasticity might be better candidates for another body contouring procedure that involves skin removal, such as tummy tuck or arm lift surgery.)
- Are in sound physical and mental health
- Have made the independent decision to undergo the procedure
- Seek aesthetic improvement, not necessarily perfection
- Understand and accept the potential drawbacks and advantages of liposuction
What Are the Different Liposuction Techniques?
Dr. Maguire has extensive experience performing a range of liposuction techniques, including:
- Tumescent liposuction, which involves injecting tumescent solution (i.e., saline, lidocaine and epinephrine) into the treatment area before removing fat, causing the blood vessels in the region to swell, thereby minimizing blood loss
- Laser-assisted liposuction, which involves using laser energy to liquefy fat cells in the treatment area, for easier removal (This technique is best for patients with dense and fibrous fat deposits.)
During consultation, Dr. Maguire evaluates patients’ physique including skin health, listens to their aesthetic concerns and recommends an appropriate treatment plan.
What Can I Expect During Liposuction Surgery?
Liposuction is an outpatient surgery, performed under either general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation, depending on the volume of fat to be removed and the complexity of the patient’s surgical goals.
Dr. Maguire makes one or more small incisions in the treatment area, placing them in the natural folds of the body or in areas that can be easily hidden with clothing, so they are inconspicuous. He then inserts a thin, hollow tube called a cannula through the incision(s), through which the unwanted fat is suctioned out.
What Is the Liposuction Recovery Period Like?
The treatment area(s) might be swollen, bruised, tender, numb or sore, but these are expected symptoms that will gradually improve over time. Taking oral pain medication as instructed by Dr. Maguire will help relieve any discomfort.
You should expect to take three to five days off of work or your everyday routine following liposuction. During this time, you should rest as much as possible and avoid vigorous activity until Dr. Maguire lets you know it is safe to return to your normal routine.
Say Goodbye to Bothersome “Problem Areas”
With liposuction, you can finally get rid of bothersome “problem areas.” To schedule a consultation with Dr. Maguire and learn more about liposuction, contact Physician’s Center for Beauty by calling (502) 897-7546 today.