- Procedure: Outpatient
- Anesthesia: General
- Duration of Procedure: About three hours
- Initial Recovery Phase: About two weeks
- Results: Apparent immediately, but continue to improve as post-op symptoms subside
No one can stop the aging process, but undergoing facelift surgery with Dr. Sean Maguire can improve visible signs of facial aging, for a rejuvenated appearance. As an accomplished facial rejuvenation surgeon, Dr. Maguire delivers beautiful yet natural-looking results.
When Is It Time to Consider Facelift Surgery?
As individuals age, the cells produce less collagen and elastin, two proteins that are vital to healthy, elastic skin. Without an ample amount of these proteins, the skin loses its elastic quality and starts to sag. Muscle tone is lost, and fat is displaced. These developments lead to noticeable signs of facial aging, including wrinkles, deep creases, facial folds, sunken-looking areas of the face and sagging skin, including jowls.
If you suffer from these common signs of aging of the face, it might be time to consider facelift surgery.
Is Facelift Surgery Right for Me?
The best way to determine whether facelift surgery is right for you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Maguire. That way, he can evaluate your facial structure and skin health and go over your aesthetic concerns with you before formulating a suitable treatment plan.
In general, however, suitable facelift candidates include patients who:
- Are frustrated with noticeable signs of facial aging, including severe creases and folds, sagging skin, jowls and hollow-looking pockets
- Are in good general health, both physically and emotionally
- Are not currently pregnant
- Have reasonable expectations for what facelift surgery can accomplish
- Seek the procedure of their own accord
- Comprehend both the potential disadvantages and advantages of the procedure
What Are the Main Approaches to Facelift Surgery?
The two main approaches to facelift surgery are:
- SMAS. With this method, Dr. Maguire lifts and tightens the superficial musculoaponeurotic system (SMAS), which is the face’s connective tissue layer. He also excises excess sagging skin and repositions the residual skin and other facial tissues. Using the SMAS technique, Dr. Maguire is able to improve the look of drooping cheeks, jowls and neck skin while providing smooth facial contours, without the unnatural “tight” look that inexperienced facelift surgeons often provide.
- Deep-plane. This facelift technique involves lifting one continuous section of skin, fat, musculature and other tissues in order to reshape the entire face. However, most individuals are able to achieve their desired outcome with a less invasive method.
What Can I Expect During the Facelift Recovery Period?
Facelift patients should expect to take about two weeks off from work or their normal schedule. Although many of the postoperative symptoms improve within one week, it takes about two weeks for all visible symptoms to improve so that no one can tell that the patient has had any “work done.”
During the first few days after surgery, patients should keep their head elevated at all times, even while they sleep. The treatment area might be swollen, red or bruised, but these symptoms will improve, again within one to two weeks. Any discomfort can be alleviated by taking pain relievers as directed by Dr. Maguire and gently applying icepacks to the treatment area.
Rejuvenate Your Look
If you are ready to rejuvenate your facial appearance, you are ready to learn more about facelift surgery. To schedule your consultation with Dr. Maguire, contact Physician’s Center for Beauty by calling (502) 897-7546 now.