Plastic surgery continues to surge and shows no sign of slowing down. In fact, according to the latest report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Americans spent more than $16 billion on cosmetic plastic surgery in 2016. Always interested in the latest plastic surgery trends, Dr. Sean Maguire of Physician’s Center for Beauty in Louisville breaks down the report’s findings in this blog post.
Breast Augmentation Still Leads Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
For the tenth year in a row, breast augmentation is the number one cosmetic surgical procedure performed in the U.S. Used to add volume and shape to small, asymmetrical or deflated breasts, breast augmentation experienced a 4 percent increase from the previous year. Implants made of silicone gel were used in 84 percent of all breast augmentation procedures while saline implants were used in 16 percent of all procedures.
Facial Rejuvenation Procedures Surge
Facial rejuvenation procedures, which aim to reduce common signs of aging, continued to rise in 2016. There were over 7 million botulinum toxin injectable procedures (i.e., Botox, Dysport) performed in 2016 — the most ever! Facelift surgery, which dropped from the top five cosmetic surgical procedures in 2015, also made a comeback. The procedure landed in the top five list after experiencing a 4 percent increase in 2016.
While minimally invasive facial rejuvenation procedures like Botox and Juvederm are popular because they achieve quick and noticeable results, facelift is preferred by patients who wish to address multiple signs of facial aging and achieve long-lasting and noticeable results.
Top Five Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
Almost 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in 2016. The top five procedures were:
- Breast augmentation (290,467 procedures, 4 percent increase from 2015)
- Liposuction (235,237 procedures, 6 percent increase from 2015)
- Rhinoplasty (223,018 procedures, 2 percent increase from 2015)
- Eyelid surgery (209,020 procedures, 2 percent increase from 2015)
- Facelift (131,106 procedures, 4 percent increase from 2015)
Top Five Non-Surgical Procedures
Approximately 15.5 million cosmetic non-surgical procedures were performed in 2016. The top five were:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (7 million procedures, 4 percent increase from 2015)
- Dermal fillers (2.6 million procedures, 2 percent increase from 2015)
- Chemical peel (1.36 million procedures, 4 percent increase from 2015)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, 1 percent decrease from 2015)
- Microdermabrasion (775,000 procedures, 3 percent decrease from 2015)
Discuss Your Cosmetic Needs with Dr. Maguire
As a seasoned and respected plastic surgeon, Dr. Sean Maguire has helped countless patients achieve their aesthetic goals. The trusted surgeon offers an array of surgical and non-surgical treatment options at his state-of-the-art practice and can meet with you to discuss your personal cosmetic needs. To schedule a personal consultation, please call (502) 897-7546 today.